Healthy Pad Thai
If you are craving a simple, healthy, Asian-style meal, look no further than Pad Thai. This delicious dish, made with rice noodles, lots of vegetables, and your choice of protein all combined with a sweet and spicy sauce is satisfying and quick to fix. Here are a few tasty Pad Thai recipes.
Making Pad Thai
The national dish of Thailand, Pad Thai has many mouthwatering variations. The protein can change from shrimp to chicken to beef to pork to tofu and the vegetables can be just about anything you have on hand or desire. Most Pad Thai also has peanuts (although these can be omitted if there is an allergy), bean sprouts, egg, and a sauce made with citrus, fish sauce, chili pepper and tamarind.
Pad Thai is relatively healthy, chock full of lean protein and vegetables, and can be made even healthier by going light on the sauce and oil, and opting for whole grain noodles. As long as you have the technique and the basic ingredients, you can make any kind of Pad Thai to suit your tastes and cravings.
Pad Thai Recipes
Chicken Pad Thai
Makes 6 servings
2. Saute chicken in melted butter until just browned on the outside. Take chicken out of skillet and reserve.
3. Heat oil in skillet and add eggs, cooking until set. Add chicken and cook 5 to 6 minutes then add noodles.
4. Stir in vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and red pepper. Continue cooking until noodles are tender, stirring often. Mix bean sprouts, peanuts, scallions and corn into mixture and cook until heated through.
5. Spoon Pad Thai onto a serving platter and squeeze lime overtop to serve.
Shrimp Pad Thai
Makes 4 servings
2. In a small bowl, stir together fish sauce, sugar, soy sauce, hoisin sauce and hot sauce.
3. Saute garlic in hot oil for just a few seconds then add the shrimp and cook, stirring for 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in the fish sauce mixture then add the noodles, cooking until noodles are tender and shrimp are fully cooked.
4. Mix in the bean sprouts and cook until heated through then sprinkle with peanuts, cilantro and mint. Spoon mixture onto a serving platter and squeeze lemon juice overtop.
Tofu Pad Thai
Makes 4 servings
2. Soak noodles in cold water for 45 minutes or until tender. Drain and reserve.
3. Stir ketchup with sugar, fish sauce and Sriracha. Saute tofu in 1 teaspoon of hot oil until golden, about 5 to 7 minutes. Take tofu out of pan using a slotted spoon and set aside.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in pan and add eggs and egg white, cooking until set. Take eggs out of pan and set aside.
5. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in the pan. Add noodles and saute for 3 minutes then add ketchup mixture. Mix in eggs, stirring until well combined and heated through. Stir onions and cilantro into mixture then gently stir in tofu.
6. Spoon mixture onto a serving platter and squeeze lemon juice overtop.
More healthy Asian recipes