(page 2 of 2)
Oscar party recipes
The Original Cobb Salad
Makes 8 servings
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup olive oil
2 heads romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
6 hard-boiled eggs, peeled, chopped
10 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled
8 cups diced cooked chicken
4 avocados, halved, pitted, peeled and diced
4 tomatoes, halved, seeded, chopped
10 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled
1. In a small bowl, whisk mustard with vinegar, Worcestershire, garlic, salt and pepper. Continue to whisk and slowly drizzle oil into mixture, mixing until emulsified.
2. Arrange lettuce in a large bowl and top with eggs, bacon, chicken, avocados, tomatoes and cheese. Serve dressing on the side or drizzle overtop and gently mix.
Mini Crab Cakes
Makes 24 crab cakes
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley
1 teaspoon dried mustard
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
2 tablespoons salted butter, melted
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 large eggs, beaten
1-1/2 pounds jumbo lump crab meat
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix bread crumbs, baking powder, parsley, dried mustard, pepper and Old Bay.
3. In a separate bowl, combine mayonnaise, butter, Worcestershire and eggs until well mixed. Gently stir in crab meat then bread crumb mixture.
4. Form the crab mixture into 24 (2- to 3-inch) patties and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until crab cakes are golden brown and crispy on the outside, flipping over after 7 to 8 minutes.
Caviar and Smoked Salmon Blinis
Makes 24 blinis
1 cup pancake mix
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon melted unsalted butter
2/3 cup low fat milk
Creme fraiche, to taste
8 ounces your choice of caviar
1. Combine pancake mix with salt, egg, butter, and milk until smooth.
2. Heat a skillet or pancake griddle until hot and brush lightly with butter or spray with cooking spray.
3. Spoon tablespoonfuls of batter onto the hot griddle and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until bubbles begin coming through the top. Flip pancakes and cook an additional 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
4. Remove blinis and arrange on a platter. Top with creme fraiche, salmon and caviar.
More ways to celebrate all things Oscar