Lunch rush or dinner crunch, time is a precious commodity with busy schedules. Feeding yourself and your family a nutritious meal can be somewhat of a stretch, especially on those busy weeknights. A quick and easy chicken sandwich is the perfect option for any time deprived occasion that doesn't substitute quality or taste. Try the chicken burrito for as a low-carb option that you can make ahead of time. Whether it's the left over grilled chicken or just prepared, these fast chicken sandwich recipes are sure to bridge the time-food continuum!
Cheesy Southwest Chicken Sandwiches
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (about 1½ lb.), thawed, cut in half (seasoning optional)
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 6 American cheese singles
- 6 hamburger buns
- 1/3 cup ranch dressing
- 6 lettuce leaves
Heat skillet sprayed with cooking spray on medium heat. Add chicken; cook 5 to 7 min. on each side or until done (165°F). Remove from heat. (Optional: cook on outdoor grill) Top with salsa and cheese; cover. Let stand 2 min. Meanwhile, spread bottom halves of buns with dressing. Fill buns with lettuce and chicken.
Cold chicken burritos
- 6 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 can (4 ounces) diced green chilies, drained
- 6 green onions, chopped, with a few inches of green
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 can (approx. 3 ounces) sliced ripe olives
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- shredded lettuce, about 8 large leaves
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Spread tortillas evenly with softened cream cheese. Layer remaining ingredients (freshly made salsa could be used in place of tomato, onion, and cilantro) on cream cheese layer in order given. Fold tortilla to parially enclose ingredients, tuck in ends and complete wrapping, pressing as you roll to keep compact. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and chill for 3 to 4 hours. Makes 6.
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-sodium tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 5 tablespoons molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 whole rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat shredded into thin strips (about 4 to 4 1/2 cups)
- 6 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- 6 large green lettuce leaves
Heat the oil in a large saute pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, vinegar, molasses, pepper and liquid smoke and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15 minutes. Add chopped chicken, return to a simmer, and cook an additional 10 minutes.
Split rolls. Place a leaf of lettuce on each roll, then pile on 3/4 cup of the chicken mixture onto the roll.