Quick & Hot Weekend Breakfast Tips
Make a sandwich: One of the simplest ways to have a filling and quick hot breakfast is to prepare a sandwich or burrito. Not only are they portable, everyone will enjoy them, too.
You can quickly scramble some eggs, fry a few pieces of bacon, place them on an English muffin or tortilla, and grill it with some cheese for the perfect hot breakfast sandwich.
Upgrade your oatmeal: Oatmeal is one of the healthiest breakfasts out there and when adding fruit or nuts, it gets even healthier. Oatmeal can be filling on its own but make it
heartier by making it with milk and slicing bananas or strawberries on top and then sprinkling with chopped nuts and cinnamon. Just about any fruit can be added to oatmeal for a delicious filling
Personalize pancakes & waffles: If you don't have time to prepare waffles or pancakes from scratch (or even if you do) preparing them with ingredients besides maple syrup
and butter will make people think they are homemade. One of my favorites is the peanut butter, honey, and banana waffle sandwich (simply spread peanut butter on a waffle then drizzle with honey and
top with banana slices. Or you can use flavored butters on your pancakes and waffles or top them with coconut, cinnamon-sugar, honey, applesauce, fruit jams, cocoa powder, sour cream, caviar, or
Grand Marnier flavored whipped cream. By dressing up frozen waffles or pancakes you can personalize them and make them feel homemade.
Quick omelets: There is almost nothing quicker than making eggs, Whether you scramble them, fry them over easy, or create an omelet, eggs typically cook in 10 minutes or less.
Omelets are a great base for adding ingredients like sautéed vegetables, cheese, meat, or fruit like apples or pears to bulk up your breakfast in no time. And remember, you don't have
to stick to just filling your omelet, you can add toppings to the top of it like leftover chili or hash browns.
Makes 4 servings
6 Tablespoons milk
Salt and pepper, to taste
Vegetable cooking spray
1/2 cup small pineapple chunks
1/2 cup cubed ham
1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 cup Cheddar cheese, grated
1. Whisk eggs with milk and salt and pepper.
2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray and heat; add eggs and cook halfway. Top eggs with pineapple, ham, and cheeses then continue cooking. Fold half of the eggs over the other half and cook until
Baked Peach Oatmeal
Makes 4 servings
2 cups rolled plain oats
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups skim milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted unsalted butter
1/3 cup peach preserves
1 large egg, beaten
2 cups chopped peaches
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and coat a baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Mix oats with baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. In a separate bowl, combine milk, brown sugar, butter, peach preserves, and egg. Combine oats with preserves mixture and pour into baking dish.
3. Bake 15 minutes then stir peaches in and bake another 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with more brown sugar if desired.
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Croissant'wich
Makes 4 servings
4 large croissants
1 tablespoon butter
4 eggs, scrambled or fried over easy
8 slices bacon, crisped
4 slices American cheese
1 avocado, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice croissants in half lengthwise and spread butter on both sides.
3. Layer eggs, bacon, cheese, and avocado on croissant bottom and top with the other half. Place on a baking sheet and bake 5 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted and sandwich is heated through.