If you've never made your own ketchup, mustard, or mayonnaise, stick to a basic recipe initially then adjust it by adding your own unique flavors. Incorporate fresh herbs, spices, spirits, and even fruit or vegetables to turn ordinary condiments into gourmet treats. Let the following condiment recipes inspire you to create uniquely flavored sauces and spreads.
Makes 2 cups
3 pounds very ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1. Puree tomatoes in a blender until smooth then strain puree through a fine strainer, pressing to get all liquids through strainer. Discard solids and reserve puree.
2. Heat olive oil in a pot and saute onion until translucent. Mix in tomato puree, tomato paste, brown sugar, vinegar, salt, red pepper, cayenne pepper, and allspice. Bring to a simmer.
3. Cook about 1 hour, stirring often, until thick. Let ketchup cool for a few minutes then pour half into a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth then pour into a bowl.
4. Puree the rest of the ketchup and add to bowl. Cover bowl then chill until ready to use. Transfer to a squeeze bottle or jar to serve.
Makes 1 cup
1 cup Oktoberfest beer, divided
2/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 ounces black mustard seeds
2 ounces white mustard seeds
2 tablespoons dry mustard
1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 teaspoon ground caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon water
1. Combine 1/2 cup beer, vinegar, mustard seeds, and dry mustard in a bowl. Let soak for up to 3 hours.
2. Pour beer mixture into a food processor and add remaining beer, salt, pepper, honey, caraway seeds and turmeric. Pulse until a course mixture is formed.
3. Pour mixture into a double boiler and heat for 15 minutes, stirring often. Pour mixture into a pot and stir in cornstarch mixture.
4. Continue to stir until mixture thickens, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover, and chill until ready to use.
Makes 3/4 cup
1 large egg yolk
1-1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 tablespoons finely minced rosemary
3/4 cup canola oil, divided
1. Whisk egg yolk with lemon juice, vinegar, mustard, salt, garlic and rosemary until well combined.
2. Spoon mixture into a blender or food processor. Gradually add oil while machine is running. Blend until mayonnaise is thick, about 7 to 8 minutes.
3. Pour mixture into a bowl, cover, and chill until ready to serve.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!