Pumpkin, sweet potato and nutmeg combine with savory ingredients for a deliciously warming spiced soup.
Makes 6 servings
2. Add sweet potato, salt, chicken broth and pumpkin and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered for about 20 to 25 minutes or until sweet potatoes are cooked through and softened. Remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes to cool.
3. Place half of the pumpkin mixture in a blender and process until smooth. Using a strainer, pour soup back into pan. Repeat with rest of soup.
4. Raise heat to medium, then stir in milk and cook for 5 minutes or until soup is heated through.
5. Remove from heat and add lime juice.
6. Serve with an optional dollop of nonfat sour cream and/or sprinkled with chopped cilantro.
Nutrition facts per serving (1/6 of recipe or 300 grams): 128 calories, 31 calories from fat, 3g fat, 2g saturated fat, 7mg cholesterol, 351mg sodium, 19g carbohydrates, 3g dietary fiber, 0g sugars, 6g protein, 405 percent Vitamin A, 15 percent vitamin C, 8 percent calcium, 8 percent iron
Recipe submitted by: Public Health of Seattle & King County: Reprinted with permission.