Tips for making Mother's Day breakfast in bed
Secretly plot your breakfast
A few days before Mother's Day, casually ask your mom what her favorite breakfast dishes are (if you don't already know) and start planning your Mother's Day meal.
Prepare a special menu
Create a special Mother's Day menu on decorative paper or a card and give it to your mom as a memento of the day. Include the date and a special message and have your whole family sign it.
Create a pretty serving tray
Presentation is everything with breakfast in bed. Fill a nice serving tray with the following: a single flower (your mom's favorite) in a bud vase, breakfast goodies on nice china, and linen napkins. The little extra touches will do a lot to make mom feel pampered.
Turn off all distractions
Turn off any cell phones, TVs, music (except for maybe some soft background music), computers, and anything that will cause a distraction and deter your mom from enjoying her relaxing day. The attention should be solely on her.
Don't forget to clean up
Don't leave a mess in the kitchen for your mom to clean up. Make sure you make this a relaxing day from start to finish.
Special Mother's Day breakfast in bed recipes
Raspberry Peach Morning Fizz
Makes 1 pitcher, about 4 to 6 cocktails
8 ounces vodka
8 ounces peach schnapps
2 cups orange juice
4 ounces raspberry liqueur
1/2 bottle Champagne
1. Combine vodka, schnapps, orange juice and raspberry liqueur in a large pitcher and stir.
2. Pour vodka mixture into champagne flutes, about three-fourths of the way full. Top with champagne.
Tropical Fruit Parfait
Makes 4 servings
4 cups vanilla Greek yogurt
4 teaspoons lime juice
4 teaspoons cinnamon plus more for garnish
2 (15.25-ounce) cans tropical fruit salad, drained
2 bananas, sliced
2 cups granola cereal
Fresh mint sprigs, for garnish
1. Combine yogurt, lime juice and cinnamon in a small bowl. Spoon half of the tropical fruit into 4 parfait or wine glasses.
2. Top with half of the banana, half of the yogurt, and half of the granola. Repeat layers once more and top with a sprinkle of cinnamon and mint springs.
French Toast Casserole
Makes 6 servings
1 day old baguette, cut into thick slices
1-1/2 cups low-fat milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon butter, cubed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon and sugar
1. Butter a medium-sized casserole dish. Layer bread slices in the dish and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl, whisk eggs with milk, sugar, salt and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread and top with cubed butter. Let soak for 30 minutes on the counter or overnight in the refrigerator
2. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until bread is golden. Dust with cinnamon-sugar before serving.
Note: Casserole can be made up to 2 days in advance (before baking) and kept in the refrigerator.
Mother's Day brunch ideas
Your Mother's Day brunch can be a tasty collection of your favorite breakfast and lunch dishes. Serving a variety of foods will ensure everyone's hunger is satisfied. Here are some of our other favorite brunch recipes: