Tired of the same old ham and cheese on white bread that you eat every day for lunch? Try jazzing up your boring lunch sandwich with inspiring spreads, creative bread options, or with interesting ethnic creations. Adding flavorful intrigue to your lunchtime routine will give you a much anticipated midday break. Here are some creative sandwich tips and tasty sandwich recipes.
(page 3 of 4)
Vietnamese Bahn Mi
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 2 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- Olive oil for grilling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 carrot, cut into thin strips
- 1 daikon radish, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- 1 cup fresh lime juice, divided
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Vietnamese fish sauce or soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 6 ounces ground pork
- 1 tablespoon roast pork seasoning mix
- Pinch garlic powder
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded, cut into thin strips
- 2 sprigs fresh Thai basil or Italian basil
- 2 (6 or 7-inch) French baguettes, cut open lengthwise
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over a medium flame. Brush mushrooms with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a small pot of water to a boil. Place carrots and daikon in boiling water and blanch for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and dunk in an ice water bath. Set aside.
- Whisk vinegar with 1/2 cup lime juice, and 1/2 cup cold water. Add carrots and daikon and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Combine the rest of the lime juice, soy sauce, fish sauce or soy sauce, sesame oil, canola oil, sugar, and 1/3 cup cold water, adding more if needed. Set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a skillet and sauté onion until soft. Stir in the pork, seasoning mix, garlic powder and black pepper to taste. Cook until pork is fully cooked.
- When ready to serve sandwiches, spread soy sauce mixture on bread. Place pork in sandwiches, top with mushrooms, jalapeno, carrots and daikon, cucumber, and basil.
>>>Up Next...Update your ham and cheese