Tired of the same old ham and cheese on white bread that you eat every day for lunch? Try jazzing up your boring lunch sandwich with inspiring spreads, creative bread options, or with interesting ethnic creations. Adding flavorful intrigue to your lunchtime routine will give you a much anticipated midday break. Here are some creative sandwich tips and tasty sandwich recipes.
(page 2 of 4)
Grilled Veggie Sandwich with Pesto and Fresh Mozzarella
Makes 2 sandwiches
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or walnuts, toasted and cooled
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus more for grilling
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 small zucchini or yellow squash, thinly sliced
- 2 pieces of focaccia bread, sliced open
- 6 to 8 slices fresh mozzarella
- Combine basil, pine nuts, garlic and cheese in a blender or food processor. Blend until finely chopped then begin streaming in oil until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan to a medium flame. Brush vegetables with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place vegetables on grill and cook about 3 or 4 minutes per side or until tender. Brush olive oil on cut sides of bread and grill until just heated through and slightly crispy.
- Spread pesto cut side of each piece of bread then top with grilled vegetables, 3 to 4 cheese slices and more pesto, if desired.
- Place top piece of bread on sandwich and grill until cheese has melted.
>>>Up next…Vietnamese Bahn Mi