For A Day!
Each year on St. Patrick's Day you can celebrate your Irish heritage, whether or not you are even actually Irish. Preparing a mouthwatering Irish meal paired with a Guiness or Irish coffee is a delicious way to enjoy being Irish for a day and revel in all things green.
(page 2 of 3)
Guinness braised corned beef casserole
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup Irish stout (like Guinness)
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can low sodium beef broth
- 8 black peppercorns
- 3 whole cloves
- 3 pounds corned beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat
- 1 cup Irish cheddar cheese, grated
- Add water, onion, carrots, celery, stout, brown sugar, tomato paste, dill, broth, peppercorns and cloves to a large crock-pot. Stir ingredients well and add in brisket.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, or until beef is tender and cooked through. Towards the end of the cooking time, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove beef and slice thinly. Arrange in a large casserole dish and top with broth and vegetables. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in oven until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
Up next: Save room for dessert >>