Broccoli is typically served in a stir-fry or on the side of a dinner, steamed. Rarely is it served as the centerpiece of a meal. However, broccoli is a great vegetable to showcase in your dinner because of its distinctive flavor and star superfood status. Here are some cooking tips and broccoli recipes featuring broccoli in your main course.
Broccoli and Cheese Casserole
Makes 4 servings
2 cups cubed cooked chicken
Salt and pepper, to taste
8 ounces frozen broccoli florets, cooked and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon cube dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
4 pieces bacon, chopped and fried
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Season chicken with salt and pepper and spread out in prepared casserole dish. Layer broccoli on top and season with salt
2. Whisk sour cream with mayonnaise, bouillon liquid and garlic powder. Spread mixture on top of broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese and bacon.
3. Bake 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Serve with salsa and additional sour cream if desired.
Makes 4 servings
2/3 pound rigatoni noodles
2 cups broccoli florets
4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 teaspoons minced garlic
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente. Drain pasta well.
2. Meanwhile, steam broccoli in 1-inch of boiling water until just tender. Drain broccoli well.
3. Toss pasta with broccoli, cheese, oil and garlic. Season with black pepper and serve.
Makes 6 servings
12 ounces uncooked dry lasagna noodles
20 ounces frozen broccoli
1 pound cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 to 3 cups low-sodium tomato sauce
12 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until tender. Drain pasta well. Meanwhile, steam broccoli in 1-inch of boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain broccoli well.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Whisk cottage cheese with sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
3. Layer 1/3 of the lasagna noodles in a large casserole dish and top with a layer of broccoli, cheese mixture, and sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
4. Layer with more noodles, and remaining broccoli, cheese mixture, and some of the sauce and mozzarella. Top with the last layer of noodles, sauce, and mozzarella.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
More main course broccoli recipes
Sesame Ginger Frittata with Broccoli and Shrimp
Turkey Broccoli Crepes
Broccoli Mushroom Casserole