Pulled pork sliders with avocado and caramelized onion
Serves: 8 (16 sliders)
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 10 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 40 minutes
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 2 ripe, fresh Hass avocados, seeded, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 16 small dinner rolls, sliced in half
- Pulled pork (see make-ahead recipe below)
- 16 thin slices low-fat Gouda cheese, cut to fit rolls
- In a small skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add onion and stir, cooking for 6 minutes. Mix in vinegar and salt. Cook and stir an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan.
- Cut each avocado slice in half and toss with lemon juice.
- To prepare sliders, top the bottom half of a roll with 1 heaping tablespoon of Pulled Pork, a slice of cheese, several cooked onions and four half slices of avocado. Add the roll top. Repeat process with all sliders.
Pulled pork recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder roast, well trimmed of visible fat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/3 cups apple juice
- 1/3 cup prepared barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- Up to 5 days before serving, combine paprika, cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Lightly sprinkle some of the seasoning on the pork roast. Keep pork roast covered and refrigerated until cook time.
- Heat oil in a 2-quart pot with lid over medium-high heat. Place pork roast in pot. Cook pork roast for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Turn and cook an additional 3-4 minutes or until browned; remove from pot.
- Add onion and garlic to pot, stir and cook until golden brown. Stir in apple juice and remaining seasonings.
- Return pork roast to pot. Bring liquid to a boil; then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cover tightly with lid and cook for 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is very tender. Remove pork roast from pot and let rest for 5-10 minutes or until cool enough to handle. Pour pot juices into a bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Shred pork roast, removing small amounts of fat as needed; cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- On the day the sliders are to be served, remove pot juices from refrigerator and skim off fat. Pour into small pot; bring to a boil. Stir in barbecue sauce and chipotle peppers. Mix in shredded pork meat and heat through. Keep warm until sliders are assembled.
*Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Note: The Pulled Pork for this recipe also can be prepared utilizing a slow cooker. Prepare Pulled Pork recipe as directed through Step 3. Then, transfer pork to a 4- to 6-quart electric slow cooker. Bring onion, garlic and juice mixture to a boil; reduce heat to a gentle simmer and transfer mixture to slow cooker. Cover and cook on low setting for 2 1/2-3 hours or until meat is very tender and falling apart. Continue recipe as directed.
Per Serving: Calories 610; Total Fat 30 g (Sat 12 g, Trans 0 g, Poly 2 g, Mono 10 g); Cholesterol 100 mg; Sodium 1740 mg; Total Carbohydrates 50 g; Dietary Fiber 6 g; Protein 32 g
Recipe courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board.
More party recipes
Sesame chicken wings
Throw a tapas party
Super bowl party recipes