If you are having a party or get together, finger sandwiches are easy-to-make, delicious hors d'oeuvres that won't put a dent in your pocketbook. Serve these sandwiches with iced or hot tea, along with an assortment of cookies or other sweet treats.
- 1 large cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced
- 8 ounces whipped cream cheese
- Mandarin orange slices
- 20 slices of white bread, cut into shapes
- Spread a thin layer of cream cheese on 2 slices of bread.
- Place two cucumbers on one of the pieces of bread.
- Make into a sandwich. Repeat, making ten sandwiches.
- Garnish with a mandarin orange slices or cucumber slices.
- Buy prepared chicken salad from your neighborhood deli or supermarket.
- Slice an apple into very thin wedges.
- Spread chicken salad evenly onto two slices of bread.
- Top one of the pieces of bread with a couple of thin wedges of apple and make into a sandwich.
- Repeat, making 10 sandwiches.
Makes 25-50 mini sandwiches
- 1, 8-ounce can crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 large loaf sandwich bread
- In a frying pan, combine all pineapple, flour, walnuts and sugar.
- Cook over low heat until thick, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool. Mix in mayonnaise.
- Cover and cool overnight in refrigerator.
- Remove crust from bread and spread on pineapple-mayo mixture. Cut each sandwich into quarters.
Makes 40 mini sandwiches
- 8 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup room-temperature whipped cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 20 slices white bread
- 10 thin, large tomato slices
- 1 small can chunk pineapple
- Cook bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Chop or tear bacon into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a bowl, stir together bacon, mayonnaise, cream cheese and mustard.
- Spread mixture on two slices of bread.
- Place one slice of tomato on one piece of bread and make into a sandwich.
- Repeat, making ten sandwiches.
- Remove crusts with a sharp knife.
- Cut each sandwich into four triangles.
- Garnish with a chunk of pineapple, securing with a toothpick.
Tips on making homemade tea sandwiches
There's no need to spend a lot of money on tea bread or other more expensive types of bread. Buy several loaves of very inexpensive, thin white or wheat bread.
For several of these recipes, you will need to cut the bread into various shapes. Using large cookie cutters, cut the bread into circles, ovals, hearts, triangles or whatever suits your fancy. Try to use cookie cutters that are close to the size of your bread, so that you do not waste much. You can also just cut the sandwiches into quarters, if you don't want the special shapes.
Set aside the crusts and excess bread (you can feed it to the birds or save it to make stuffing at a later date). You can make the sandwiches appear fancy by combining simple ingredients and garnishing with a colorful complement, such as a slice of mandarin orange or chunk of pineapple.
More sandwich recipes for entertaining
Sloppy joes and potato salad
Low carb appetizers
Appetizers for easy entertaining