Black and White Dessert Recipes
Black and White Cookies
Makes 24 cookies For the cookie:
1 cup unsalted butter
1-3/4 cups granulated sugar
1 cup whole milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon extract
2-1/2 cups cake flour
2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt For the glaze:
4 cups confectioners' sugar
1/3 cup boiling water
1 (1-ounce) square bittersweet chocolate, chopped Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Beat butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Once combined, beat in milk, vanilla and lemon extract.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. Gradually beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients, beating well to fully combine. Spoon tablespoonfuls of dough onto greased baking sheets. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes then let fully cool on wire racks.
3. Put confectioners' sugar in a bowl. Spoon boiling water into sugar one tablespoon at a time, stirring after each addition, until mixture is thick, but still spreadable.
4. Move half of the sugar mixture to a double boiler and mix in the chocolate, stirring until smooth.
5. Spread vanilla frosting on one half of the top of each cookie and spread chocolate on the other half. You can even swirl chocolate and vanilla into a yin-yang formation. Let frosting set before eating.
Black and White Brownies
Makes 16 brownies Ingredients:
1/3 cup unsalted butter
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 tablespoon vegetable oil Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine butter and semisweet chocolate chips in a pot and heat over low heat, stirring until smooth. Take mixture off of heat and stir in sugar, eggs, 2 tablespoons of water, vanilla, flour and baking soda.
2. Melt white chocolate chips in a double boiler and stir in vegetable oil. Quickly spoon chocolate batter into a square baking pan and pour melted white chocolate on batter. Use a knife to swirl the white chocolate through chocolate. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until baked through. Let cool before cutting into squares and serving.
Black and White Cake
Makes 1 cake Ingredients:
2 cups brown sugar
1 stick unsalted butter
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, melted
2-1/2 cups cake flour, sifted
3/4 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon baking soda, diluted with 3/4 cup ice water
1 teaspoon vanilla For chocolate icing:
3/4 stick unsalted butter
1 (1-ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
2 cups confectioners' sugar
Cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Few drops of pure almond extract
1/2 cup pecans For white icing:
1 egg white
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ice water
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
Pinch of salt
1/4 teaspoon vanilla (optional) Directions:
1. To make the cake, beat together brown sugar, butter and eggs in a bowl until creamy. Mix in melted chocolate. Gradually add in flour, buttermilk, diluted baking soda and vanilla.
2. Pour mixture into a 9X13-inch floured baking pan and place in a cold oven. Begin heating oven to 350 degrees F. Bake 40 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
3. In a small pan over low heat, combine ingredients for chocolate icing using enough cream to reach a spreadable consistency. Remove from heat. Combine ingredients for white icing in a double boiler, heat and stir until smooth and spreadable. Beat white icing mixture until it is fluffy.
4. Invert cake onto a square cake board or plate and spread both icings over cake in a black and white design of your choice.
Related Articles Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cookies Homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake Chocolate Meringue Cookies S'mores Sandwich Bar Cookies Mrs Field's top tips for baking cookies