Low Carb Snacks
Midday snacking at work, home or school can be a danger zone, especially if you are striving to keep your intake of carbs down. You can avoid those carb-heavy chips, cookies and crackers by keeping a ready supply of tasty low carb snacks that are high in protein, healthy fats and fiber. Read on for some super simple snack ideas. Even better, print out the following list and recipes and keep it handy so you are never at a loss for healthy low carb nibbles.
Quick and easy low carb snacks
low carb Snack Recipes
Spicy Tropical Snack Mix
Makes 8 servings
1 cup Goldfish crackers or oyster crackers
1 cup unsalted pecans, macadamia nuts or almonds
1/4 cup mixed dried tropical fruit and/or dried cranberries or raisins
1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning or oregano
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste)
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine crackers, nuts and fruit on a large baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and toss with herbs and spices.
2. Bake 15 minutes or until dry and crunchy. Stir mixture about 7 minutes. Let cool before storing or eating.
Makes 4 servings
1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed, drained and dried
1 teaspoon chili powder (or more or less to taste)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
A few drops of hot sauce
Salt to taste
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Place beans in a large skillet and coat with cooking spray. Heat beans until lightly browned, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
2. Combine remaining ingredients and toss with beans in pan. Spread mixture on a baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes or until they are crispy. Let cool before storing or eating.
Makes 8 servings
2 pounds of sliced thinly, peeled mixed vegetables, such as potatoes or sweet potatoes, carrots, eggplant, squash, mushrooms, corn kernels, leeks, sliced Brussels sprouts, etc.
1. Sprinkle vegetables with salt and lay on paper towels, allowing most of the moisture to be released, about 20 to 30 minutes. Rinse salt from vegetables and dry on paper towels.
2. Place vegetables on a microwave-safe dish in one layer. Spray vegetables with cooking spray and microwave on high for 5 to 6 minutes or until crispy. Vegetables will become crisper as they cool, so be sure not to overcook. Vegetables with more moisture will take longer to dry.
Low carb side dishes
Low carb lunches under 400 calories
Low carb tortilla fest