Cook A Hearty Italian Meal
Carbonara is a hearty Italian dish that combines chicken and/or shrimp along with pasta and a cream sauce. This recipe is baked and topped with seasoned breadcrumbs. It's a delicious meal that your whole family will enjoy.
(page 2 of 2)
Serving: 6 as an appetizer, 4 as a meal
- 8 Roma or plum tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 medium fresh basil leaves, stemmed and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 7 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 11 oz container of refrigerated thin crust pizza dough
- 1 garlic clove
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Dice tomatoes into small pieces. Transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Add chopped garlic, salt, pepper, 1/2 of chopped basil (about 1/4 cup), and 4 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil.
- Set aside and allow the mixture to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Flatten pizza dough into rectangle pan as indicated on package, reaching to the edges of the pan.
- Drizzle dough with extra virgin olive oil and brush it over the surface.
- Bake dough in oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes on center rack.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly, about 2 minutes.
- Cut garlic clove in half and rub, cut side down, onto the surface of the bread. The slight warmth of the bread will help extract the garlic flavor.
- Allow bread to cool completely, about 10 more minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Combine mayonnaise and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Evenly spread onto the surface of the bread.
- Top with shredded mozzarella to evenly cover surface.
- Drain the Caprese mixture, as the salt will have extracted water from the tomatoes, and spread the bread mixture evenly over the bread.
- Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese.
- Return flatbread to oven for 5-7 more minutes or until golden, crisp and bubbly.
- Garnish with remaining chopped basil.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Watch the video
To learn how to make the flatbread, watch this video from the experts at Olive Garden.