Recipes featuring tuna in a can
Albacore Tuna Ball
Makes 24 servings Ingredients:
1 (6-ounce) can solid white albacore tuna, drained, flaked
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened at room temperature
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/4 cup chopped onion Directions:
Combine tuna, cream cheese, 1/2 cup pecans, and onions in a bowl. Form mixture into a ball or log. Top with remaining pecans. Serve with fresh vegetables and crackers.
Pesto and Sun-dried Tomato Tuna Melts
Makes 2 servings Ingredients:
1 (6-ounce) can chunk light tuna, drained
1/4 cup prepared basil pesto sauce
6 oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained, diced
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 large croissants, halved
Sun-dried tomatoes, for garnish Directions:
Combine tuna, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, mayonnaise and Parmesan in a bowl. Cover and chill until ready to serve. Spoon mixture onto croissants and top with extra sun-dried tomatoes.
Homemade Tuna Noodle Casserole
Makes 6 servings Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter, divided
1 (8-ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
Salt and black pepper to taste
2 (6-ounce) cans solid white albacore tuna, drained, flaked
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
3 tablespoons bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a medium-sized baking dish with butter or cooking spray.
2. Cook egg noodles in a large pot of boiling water until al dente. Drain and reserve.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Mix in onion, celery, and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, stirring often. Increase heat to medium-high heat and add mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or until the majority of the liquid has evaporated.
4. Heat 4 tablespoons of butter in a medium pot and whisk in flour until smooth. Slowly whisk in milk and cook until sauce begins to thicken. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
5. Mix in tuna, peas, mushroom mixture and reserved noodles. Spoon mixture into the prepared baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in a bowl and combine with breadcrumbs.
6. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over casserole. Top with cheese. Bake 25 minutes or until brown and bubbly.
Waldorf Tuna Salad
Makes 4 servings Ingredients:
2 (6-ounce) cans chunk light tuna, drained, flaked
1 large red apple, cored, chopped
1/3 cup chopped celery
1/3 cup raisins
1/3 cup chopped dried or fresh dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup fat-free plain yogurt
1/4 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
4 lettuce leaves
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese
Mix together tuna, apple, celery, raisins, dates and walnuts. Whisk together yogurt and mayonnaise. Toss tuna with yogurt mixture. Spoon mixture onto lettuce lined plates and top with cheese.
Makes 6 servings Ingredients:
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup minced onion
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups milk
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 (12-ounce) can tuna, drained, flaked
2 teaspoons diced pimiento or roasted red pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons sherry, optional
1. Heat butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute onion and pepper in butter until tender.
2. Add flour and salt. Slowly whisk in milk, cheese and cayenne. Continue cooking until cheese melts and soup becomes thick.
3. Mix in tuna, pimiento and sherry, if using. Heat through, stirring, for 3 to 4 minutes. Serve warm with crusty bread.
Additional tuna recipes can be found here