All about acai berries

Acai Health &
Beauty Benefits

You probably know that berries are good for you. Berries, such as blueberries and raspberries, supply the body with a number of helpful nutrients - many of which are difficult to find in other food. However, one type of berry that has been often overlooked until recently is the acai berry.
Acai berries

The acai berry started to garner some attention a few years back when Oprah talked about the little berry being number one on Dr. Perricone's top 10 Superfoods list. However, many people still aren't aware of its wonderful health and beauty benefits.

The acai berry is a berry that is primarily grown in the Brazilian rainforest and it's the approximately the size of a grape. Dark purple in color, the lone seed within the berry makes up more than 75% of the fruit. Acai berries are used in everything from ice cream to granola bars to energy drinks.

Acai berries and antioxidants

While the acai berry has many impressive nutritional elements, the amount of antioxidants within the berry is most notable. Although blueberries are known for being extremely high in antioxidants, acai berries actually have twice the amount of antioxidants.

Antioxidants are important in your everyday diet because they do a great job of actively protecting your body. As we age, our bodies suffer oxidative damage that can lead to conditions such as heart disease, diabetes and even cancer. The most effective way to combat oxidative damage is by consuming a lot of antioxidants in your diet.

Acai berries

Additional health benefits of the acai berry

While the amount of antioxidants in acai berries is important, these berries have a lot more to offer. Acai berries are also a great source of fiber. If you need to add fiber to your diet, eating acai berries is a safe and natural way to do so.

Fatty acids are also prevalent in acai berries, which have been linked to lowering cholesterol. Those who have consumed acai berries have reported numerous other positive results such as boosted energy levels, strengthened immune system and improved mental clarity.

Beauty benefits of the acai berry

Due to the acai berry being rich in antioxidants, these berries naturally help slow the aging process. If you regular eat acai berries, you may notice your skin begin to feel and look firmer. This is due to both the antioxidants and other nutrients that help circulation.

Weight loss has also been associated with acai berries. Berries, in general, are a very healthy food. The acai berries are no different.

Where to find acai berry products

The easiest way to reap the rewards of the acai berry is to drink acai berry juice. You can order acai juice off of the internet or find the berries or juice at your local health food store. Acai berry powder is also very popular. If you want a no-hassle option, consider taking acai berry pills.

No matter what form you decide to consume the acai berry, it is a healthy food option that you should consider adding to your regular diet.

Fruits and vegetables

Comments

Comments on "All about acai berries"

Pallavi Singh September 26, 2011 | 3:24 PM

i also want to knw ....can I takeacai berry diet pill while breastfeeding.... Gosh who will tell us?

Ruth Djaban July 02, 2011 | 6:01 AM

I need acai pill to reduce my weight.its important to me.GHANA

Rebecca, CLS June 01, 2009 | 2:32 PM

Please refrain from offering nursing advise if you are not a certified lactation consultant. Go to Dr. Thomas Hale's website. He has done so much research on medications and other "pills" that can effect breastfeeding. Please do not listen to just anyone. Go to experts on the subject of breastfeeding. So many people are absolutely ignorant to breastfeeding and will go around saying any quacky thing. Dr. Hale's website is http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/lact/drugentrypage.html and it talks about how drugs enter the mother's milk and so on. Just be healthy while nursing. Eat well and exercise to comfort. breastfeeding is the best food for your child.

Marina May 13, 2009 | 4:43 AM

Can I nurse while taking acai berries pills or drink?

Beth April 22, 2009 | 8:41 AM

Seriously ladies. It's like giving your baby diet pills THEY EAT WHAT YOU EAT... I guess if you want to keep your baby from getting important nutrients and possibly make them lose weight and possibly kill them or make them sick. No its not ok, no its not safe, wait till you are done breast feeding, or start bottle feeding them if you want to take these pills. It's common sense... they eat what you eat, and if you aren't eating right, they aren't eating right... if you are dieting they are dieting... suffer your weight a lil longer or just stick to eating right and exercising until they are done, then you can go on diets and take pills...

tra April 18, 2009 | 4:38 PM

has the question of taking these whilst breastfeeding been answered? i cant find any info anywhere?

kayleigh April 10, 2009 | 3:59 AM

hi i am considering taking the acai berry juice and i am also trying to get pregnant, i would like to know what are the risks if any of taking any product with acai berries in whilst being pregnant and breast feeding?

beth March 30, 2009 | 9:39 PM

I was also wondering about nursing and taking acai berry, i found this article while researching. http://myhealthy/acai-berry-while-nursing/

Celine March 30, 2009 | 7:00 PM

I am interested too, but i am breastfeeding my baby,but i am worry that it will harm my baby, pls advise. tks

LeKeisha Warren March 07, 2009 | 3:04 AM

hi, my question is the same as all of the other young ladies. I want to knowif the supplements are safe to take while nursing?

Raven March 05, 2009 | 10:01 AM

Is it safe to take the Acia Berry pill while nursing an infant? will it have any affects on the baby? anyone know? please let me know i would like to try it but don't want to waste the money if it could harm the baby and make her loose wight or something. Thanks

Sharla February 25, 2009 | 3:29 PM

Is acai berry safe for nursing moms? Please advise. Thanks!

Leighanna February 22, 2009 | 11:13 PM

I am too wondering if it is safe to take while breastfeeding.

Iriana February 19, 2009 | 10:21 AM

Same here.... I'm still nursing, Can I take the pills while nursing???

MELIA February 09, 2009 | 8:16 PM

I AM WANTING TO KNOW THE SAME IS IT SAFE TO TAKE THE PILL ACAI BERRY AND BREASTFEED?

LAUREN February 05, 2009 | 8:35 PM

I ALSO WANTED TO KNOW IF I CAN TAKE THE ACAI BERRY PILLS WHEN PREGNANT OR NURSING OR IS IT DANGEROUS?

LINZI January 28, 2009 | 7:57 PM

DITO! CAN NURSING MOMS TAKE THE BERRY MENTIONED SAFELY FOR MOTHER AND NURSING BABY?

Jason January 04, 2009 | 10:28 PM

Thanks for the interesting article on acai berry products!

Cynthia November 19, 2008 | 8:04 AM

Once again, I am also a nursing mom and can't find ANYTHING out about taking the pill form.

Salma November 19, 2008 | 2:15 AM

I am nursing as well...and was wondering if i could take acai...but no info on it..so i guess i'll have to ask my baby's pediatrition and my doctor.