You can reduce or increase the amount of peppers in this recipe, depending on how spicy you like your food.
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. beef stew meat or chuck roast (cubed)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 6 oz. (1/2 can) tomato paste
- 1 tsp. ground comino (cumin)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 3 seeded jalapeno or serrano peppers
- 2 tsp. cornstarch
- 2 tsp. water
- salt to taste
- Saute onions in oil on medium heat until soft.
- Add meat and cook until outside is browned.
- Pour in broth along with tomato paste, comino, garlic, black pepper, chili powder and peppers.
- Reduce heat to low. Simmer until beef is tender and cooked through, up to two hours.
- In a cup, mix cornstarch and water, then add to beef and stir until thickened. Add salt if desired.
- For an extra hearty meal, you can add zucchini or even potatoes to the recipe.
Tex-Mex carne guisada
Here's another recipe for carne guisada that you may enjoy.