- 3 lbs boneless beef short ribs*
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Chianti wine
- 1 32-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
*Your grocery store butcher can cut into individual ribs and de-bone.
Pat short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper. Coat a large, nonstick pan or dutch oven
with olive oil. Sear the short rib pieces over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until brown. Transfer short ribs to a bowl.
Add onions to pan and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Once onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute; do not brown. Add Chianti, rosemary, beef broth and tomatoes to the pan one at a time, allowing liquid to partially evaporate before each addition (about 2 minutes).
Return short ribs to pan, including any juices that might have accumulated in the bowl. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours on low heat to complete the braising process. Remove short ribs from pan and boil the liquid until it is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
Return short ribs to pan and heat thoroughly.
In this video, Olive Garden
Executive Chef Paolo Lafata demonstrates how to make these delicious ribs.
Serve with potatoes or risotto and vegetables. The recipe below for roasted potatoes with red onions is a nice choice.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
- 2 lbs small red potatoes
- 1 red onion, large – cut in 1" pieces
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- 6 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- parsley, chopped
- fresh rosemary sprigs, as needed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash potatoes and cut into quarters.
- Combine potatoes and onions in large mixing bowl. Add garlic, rosemary, oil, butter, salt and pepper. Toss to thoroughly coat potatoes and onions with seasonings.
- Arrange potatoes and onions in a single layer on a sheet tray. Cut side of potatoes should touch baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Garnish with chopped parsley and fresh rosemary sprigs. Serve immediately.
Recipes courtesy of Olive Garden.