Salads are terrific for a light, healthy lunch or on the side of your dinner. Summer is a great time for salads. You can find a variety of fabulous summer fruits and vegetables to make fresh, delicious salads. Here are three of our favorite summer salads.
Simple Greek salad
- 2 large cucumbers
- 6 large black olives
- 2 large green bell peppers
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 small red onion
- 1 large tomato
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
1. Peel and seed cucumber.
2. Chop cucumber and remaining vegetables and combine in large bowl.
3. Whisk together oil and vinegar and add to salad.
4. Add feta cheese, salt and pepper. Toss and serve.
Fruit salad with rhubarb sauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 20 grapes, halved
- 1 green apple, cored and diced
- 1 nectarine, pitted and sliced
- 1 small orange, sectioned
- 1 red plum, pitted and sliced
- 12 strawberries, halved
- 1 tangerine, sectioned
1. Boil water and sugar in a saucepan.
2. Stir in sliced rhubarb and reduce heat to low.
3. Cover and simmer 15 minutes until rhubarb is soft.
4. Mash with a fork and chill for 2 hours.
5. Mix all fruit in a large bowl.
6. Add enough rhubarb sauce to coat thoroughly (about 1/2 cup).
7. Cover fruit salad and chill 2-4 hours.
Mediterranean tuna salad
This Mediterranean tuna salad is a fantastic twist on your traditional tuna salad.
The salad recipe combines tuna, artichoke hearts, red onion, Greek olives, parsley, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper, along with lemon and olive oil.
Check out this video from summerkitchen.tv
for more details on how to make Mediterranean tuna salad. It's perfect for summer sandwiches.