Red, White And Blue Desserts
A low fat flag cake with fresh fruit and whipped topping and a low fat layered raspberry and blueberry flavored parfait will be the highlight of your Memorial Day picnic.
American Flag CakeMakes 12 servings
1 (18 1/2-ounce) package yellow or white cake mix
1 (3-ounce) package strawberry gelatin
1/2 cup boiling water
1 (3 3/8-ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 1/2 cup milk
3 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 cup blueberries
1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
1 1/2 cups bananas, sliced, dipped in lemon juice
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
1. Prepare cake mix by following package directions in a 13x9 inch baking pan. Remove baked cake from pan and let cool on a wire rack. Place a sheet of waxed paper underneath wire rack and poke holes in cake using a fork at 1-inch intervals.
2. Dissolve gelatin in boiling water and pour over cake, letting it seep into the holes. Chill in refrigerator for 1 hour.
3. Prepare pudding following package directions using 1 1/2 cups of milk. When prepared, fold in 1 cup whipped topping and 1/2 cup blueberries.
4. Cut cake horizontally in half. Spread pudding mixture over one half of the cake and top with other half of cake. Frost the whole cake with the rest of the whipped topping.
5. Decorate cake as a flag, placing blueberries where stars would be and bananas and strawberries where the red and white stripes would be. Decorate edges with marshmallows.
Raspberry, Blueberry, and Cream Cheese ParfaitMakes 12 servings
Usual parfaits are served in tall glasses. This version is suited to easily serve a crowd. Layered in a baking dish, it presents just as beautifully.
1 small box raspberry gelatin
1 1/2 cup cold water
1 cup hot water
1 envelope plain gelatin
1 cup half and half cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
8 ounces cream cheese
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 small box raspberry gelatin
1 cup hot water, boiling
1 can blueberry pie filling
1. Dissolve 1 box of raspberry gelatin in 1 cup boiling water. Mix in 1 cup cold water, stirring well. Pour mixture in a large bowl and chill until set.
2. Dissolve plain gelatin in 1/2-cup cold water. In a large saucepan, heat half and half with sugar over medium heat, stirring, until sugar dissolves. Add plain gelatin, vanilla, and cream cheese, and blend well with beaters. Once blended, stir in walnuts. Spoon over raspberry gelatin mixture and refrigerate.
3. Meanwhile, combine second box of raspberry gelatin with 1 cup boiling water and the blueberry pie filling. Let cool and spoon over second layer. Chill until set. Serve topped with whipped topping.
For more wow-worthy Memorial Day recipes, check out these recipes:
Memorial Day menu on the grill
Memorial Day backyard BBQ recipes
Celebrate Memorial Day the healthy way
And be sure to visit the SheKnows.com Food and Recipes Channel the next time you are planning an outdoor gathering or simply want to put a scrumptious meal on the breakfast, lunch, or dinner table.