Banana Nut Bread
On A Low GI Diet
With a low glycemic index (low GI) diet, you can reduce food cravings, control spikes in blood sugar levels and manage your weight. However, sometimes it's difficult to find low GI recipes for desserts and snacks that are also delicious.
A low GI diet is based on the Glycemic Index (GI), which breaks foods down into low GI foods and high GI foods. High GI foods raise blood glucose quickly, leading to intense food cravings and more overeating. By eliminating these foods from your diet and eating low GI foods instead, you can control your blood sugar level (essential for those with diabetes) and lose weight.
Low GI foods are mostly whole foods that are high fiber and nutrient-rich. If you are on a low GI diet and looking for a delicious dessert or snack, this banana nut bread fits the bill. Made with whole wheat flour and brown sugar, this bread is perfect for those on a low GI diet. And it's yummy too!
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 Tbsp SPLENDA brown sugar blend
- 4 egg whites
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup walnuts (chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine whole wheat flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat SPLENDA and egg whites together.
- Add in mashed bananas, vanilla and buttermilk. Beat lightly.
- Pour liquid mixture into dry ingredients and combine.
- Add walnuts and stir until well combined.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake 45 minutes until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
Learn more about the Glycemic Index and which foods are low GI.