Avocados are nutritious and delicious. Though they contain fat, it's what is considered "good fat" and avocados are also rich in fiber and other nutrients.
Next time you are looking to make a new interesting new meal, consider these avocado stuffed crab cakes. And for dessert, you can bake an avocado bread.
Crab Cakes Stuffed with Hass AvocadoServes:
- 1/4 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 3 Tbsp low fat mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red bell pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped Italian parsley leaves
- 1 Tbsp Dijon style mustard
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) lump crab, rinsed, drained, picked through for shells and squeezed dry
- 1 ripe Hass Avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and finely chopped
- 6 cups mixed greens
- 6 oranges, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup prepared balsamic salad dressing
- In small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add shallots and sautÃ© for 2 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine shallots, bread crumbs, cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, bell pepper, parsley, mustard, egg, salt and crab. Cover and refrigerate to allow flavors to blend.
- Stir in avocados. Form crab mixture into 12 cakes and chill for 30 minutes.
- In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add crab cakes and cook for about 3 minutes or until browned, turn and brown other side.
- Serve on a bed of greens and sliced oranges drizzled with dressing.
Recipe courtesy of the Hass Avocado Board
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup mashed Hass avocado
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla, beat well, add avocado and oil. Blend until smooth.
- Gradually add sifted dry ingredients.
- Beat at medium speed until smooth (mixture may be quite thick, add 1/2 cup water to thin out enough to pour in pans, mixture will still be thick).
- Add chopped nuts last, stir in.
- Pour mixture into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from pan; cool thoroughly before slicing.
Recipe courtesy of California Avocado Commission
Get the dish on avocado nutrition and other year-round avocado recipes.