Healthy Side Dish
For Easter Dinner
This Easter, try this new twist on a yummy side dish. This Golden Garden Potato Salad is both delicious and nutritious with just one gram of fat per serving.
This rich, creamy dressing doesn't have a smidgen of fat, and yet it is rich enough to flavor a potato salad or lacquer an entrÃÂ©e of pan-roasted seafood. A 3-tablespoon portion delivers only about 50 calories.
For the Creamy Harvest Dressing:
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) sweet potatoes or yams in light syrup, drained
- 1 slice yellow onion, 1/2-inch thick
- 3/4 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
For the salad:
- 3 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, washed, cut in 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 3 ribs celery, peeled and finely diced
- 2 bacon strips, cooked crisp, fat drained and crumbled
- To make the dressing, purÃÂ©e all of the dressing ingredients, except for the parsley, in a blender or food processor until smooth; stir in the parsley.
- Boil the potatoes in a large pot of lightly salted water until tender, about 15 minutes; drain.
- While still hot toss the potatoes, onion, celery, bacon and dressing; set aside to cool.
Nutrition Information for Dressing Per Serving: Calories 50; Total fat 0g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 95mg; Carbohydrate 12g; Fiber 1g; Protein 1g; Vitamin A 70%DV*; Vitamin C 15%DV; Folate 2%DV; Calcium 2%DV; Iron 2%DV; Potassium 3%DV
Nutrition Information for Dressed Salad Per Serving: Calories 160; Total fat 1g; Saturated fat 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 135mg; Carbohydrate 36g; Fiber 3g; Protein 3g; Vitamin A 70%DV; Vitamin C 30%DV; Folate 6%DV; Calcium 2%DV; Iron 6%DV; Potassium 15%DV
* Daily Value
Recipe courtesy of Mealtime.org.
More Easter Recipes