Succulent Steak On The Barbie
Succulent slices of steak topped with a toothsome combination of roasted corn, peppers and melt-in-your-mouth avocado makes for an unbeatable dinner entree.
In addition to the protein and amino acids from the juicy steak, the avocado provides more than 25 essential nutrients, including fiber, potassium, vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. The avocado and olive oil also act as "nutrient boosters" by enabling the body to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients, such as alpha- and beta-carotene and lutein. One-fifth of a medium avocado has a mere 50 calories and, even better, research suggests avocados are good for the eyes, help with weight loss and maintenance, are good for the heart and may lower cholesterol.
Grilled skirt steak recipe
Recipe adabpted from the California Avocado Commission
- 3/4 cup cumin seeds
- 6 jalapeño chilies, stemmed, cut in half, seeded
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons cracked black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 bunches cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1-1/2 cups olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of excess fat, cut into 6 serving pieces
- Avocado corn salad (recipe below)
- Lightly toast cumin seeds in a dry medium skillet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add jalapeños, garlic, black pepper, salt and lime and puree until the cumin seeds are finely ground. Then add cilantro, olive oil and salt and puree until smooth.
- Cut steak into 6 servings. Generously brush with marinade and roll into cylinder. Arrange steaks in shallow pan and cover with remaining marinade. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 24 to 48 hours before cooking.
- Cook steaks on a hot grill or grill pan for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until desired doneness. Serve with avocado corn salad and warm flour tortillas.
Avocado corn salad recipe
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels (about 5 ears)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup freshly ground black pepper
- 2 fresh California avocados, peeled, seeded
- 1 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded
- 4 poblano chilies, roasted, peeled, seeded
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- Heat 1/2 cup of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute corn with salt and pepper, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- Cut avocados, bell pepper and roasted poblanos into 1/4-inch dices. Add to corn along with scallions, red wine vinegar and remaining 1/4 cup olive oil. Mix well and let sit 20 to 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
More grilled steak recipes
Spicy grilled skirt steak with Thai red chili sauce
Grilled flat iron steak with chimichurri sauce
Grilled asparagus and steak salad