Here is one of my favorite recipes to make with special friends or family. It is an Italian version of the American brownies.
Tortini di Cioccolato
(Italian Style Brownies)
- 1/4 cup European butter
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate pieces
- 1 whole egg
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup walnut pieces
- 1 fresh orange
- 2 tablespoons butter to butter pan
- 2 tablespoons plain breadcrumbs
- Soften butter in bowl until it cuts into small pieces.
- Break egg, separating the white and egg yolk in two different bowls.
- Break chocolate into pieces and place in glass bowl.
- Place glass bowl in microwave for 30 seconds, or until melted (all microwave times vary, so leave on for 15-30 seconds first).
- Place softened butter and sugar in another bowl. Mix until comes to a smooth mixture. Add in egg yolk and continue to mix. Add in melted chocolate, a little at a time until totally mixed in.
- Add in flour a small spoonful at a time, continually mixing until totally blended in.
- Grate 1/2 of orange and add in peel and chopped nuts. Mix well.
- Beat egg white until peaks have formed and gently fold into chocolate mixture.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Butter round cake pan or cover with baking paper.
- Dust bottom with plain breadcrumbs.
- Pour in batter and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- To be sure it is done, place toothpick in center, it must come out dry. If necessary cook for 5 minutes more.
- Dust serving plates with powdered cocoa.
- Cut cake into squares; serve with thin slice of orange.
Copyright, Maria Liberati, 2005, 2006, 2007, The Basic Art of Italian Cooking.
Maria Liberati is a celebrity chef, bestselling author and healthy cooking expert. Her first book, "The Basic Art of Italian Cooking" met rave reviews. Her next book entitled "The Basic Art of Italian Cooking - Holidays and Special Occasions" will be released in late 2008. You can find out more about Maria from her website at marialiberati.com or her blog at mariaandco.blogspot.com.