Beet Feta Walnut Quiche
2 medium-sized red or yellow beets, ends trimmed, each cut in half
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 onion, halved, sliced thin
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
2 tablespoons white wine
3/4 cup half and half
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese
1 cup walnuts, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 (10-inch) whole wheat pastry crust (in freezer aisle sold in a pie tin)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Scrub beets under running water and pat dry with a towel. Rub beets with olive oil and place on a double sheet of heavy duty aluminum foil. Wrap foil around beats and place on a baking sheet. Bake beets until they are fork-tender, about 40 minutes. Unwrap beets and allow them to cool. With a sharp knife, carefully remove peel (beet juice will stain whatever comes into contact with it). Dice beets and set aside in a large bowl to cool.
2. Meanwhile, place pie crust in oven and bake 10 minutes. Remove and set aside until ready to fill.
3. Melt butter in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until onion is soft and golden, about 8 minutes. Add white wine to deglaze skillet and use a spatula to scrape browned bits stuck to the bottom of the skillet. Add onion to the beets and toss to combine.
4. In a second large bowl, whisk together eggs, and half and half. Pour beet mixture into prepared pie crust. Pour egg mixture over beet mixture, shaking pie tin to allow liquid to seep through beet mixture. Sprinkle evenly with feta, walnuts, and parsley, gently patting them down into the beet and egg mixture.
5. Place pie tin on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until just set. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 10 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Points and Prizes Keyword: SKILLET worth 50 points good through 02/17/08.