Turkey and Quinoa Picadillo
4 cups water, lightly salted
1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained twice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
2 large jalapenos, seeded, minced
1 pound ground turkey (7% fat)
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 large poblano, seeded, finely diced
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1/4 cup firmly packed raisins
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1. Bring the lightly salted water to a boil in a large pot over high heat and add quinoa. Return to a boil and lower heat to medium. Cover and simmer until quinoa is al dente, 12 to 13 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in garlic, ginger, and jalapenos and cook until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add turkey and brown for 3 to 4 minutes, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon or spatula to ensure even cooking.
5. Sprinkle with chile powder and add poblano and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and lower heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 12 minutes.
6. When quinoa is cooked, drain and transfer to a large serving bowl. Stir raisins into the turkey mixture and cook for another minute to heat raisins through.
7. Transfer turkey mixture to bowl with quinoa and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve wrapped in a tortilla or scooped up on tortilla chips.
Nutritional Analysis: Calories 257 (19% from fat); Protein 22 grams; Carbohydrates 30 grams; Fiber 5 grams; Total Fat 5.5 grams (Saturated Fat 1 gram; Monounsaturated Fat 2.5 grams; Polyunsaturated Fat 2 grams); Cholesterol 39 milligrams; Sodium 351 milligrams