With the popularity of low carb diets in recent years through diet plans such as Atkins, South Beach, Zone and several others, many people are cutting down or eliminating their sugar and starch intake. Some dieters think low carb dieting means no desserts. However, that's the furthest thing from the truth.
Sensible low carb desserts
Though you do need to watch what you eat, you don't need to skip dessert entirely. There are several low carb desserts that are both delicious and nutritious.
The key to making low carb desserts is to use Splenda or another such sweetener made for baking. Splenda is the no calorie sweetener that is made from sugar. It tastes very much like actual sugar
and has no aftertaste. Splenda can be used in cooking and baking in order to make desserts and other meals without using sugar.
Try one of these delicious low-carb dessert recipes!
Makes two rich servings with minimal carbs. This is a very simple recipe to make a smooth, creamy delicious dessert.
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons Splenda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Sugar-free Cool Whip
- Place whipping cream, Splenda, vanilla and cocoa powder in blender.
- Blend until creamy and smooth.
- Spoon mixture into parfait glasses.
- Top with Cool Whip and sprinkle with cocoa powder.
This dessert recipe makes makes six servings with less than 1 net gram of carbs per serving -- a delicious way to have a cool coffee treat without all the sugar.
- 4 cups strong brewed coffee
- Splenda to taste
- 1/4 cup sugar-free Cool Whip
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp brandy or other liqueur
- Brew coffee and mix with sweetener.
- Pour into ice cube trays.
- Freeze until hardened.
- When you are ready to serve, mix Cool Whip, vanilla and brandy in a bowl.
- Blend until creamy.
- Empty the coffee ice cubes into your blender or food processor.
- Blend on medium speed until the coffee ice is a chunky slush.
- Pour into glasses and top with Cool Whip mixture.
Orange Pound Cake
Makes 12 servings with 6 net carbs each. If you are baking for a large group, this recipe is a great choice.
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups Splenda
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Beat butter, cream cheese and Splenda with electric mixer until creamy.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each.
- In a separate bowl, combine almond flour, baking powder and salt.
- Pour flour mixture into butter mixture slowly, while continuing to beat until well blended.
- Add orange juice and continue mixing.
- Pour mixture into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes until a toothpick is inserted in the center and comes out clean.
These recipes were originally written and published by Kori Ellis at therecipebook.com.