6 slices light whole wheat bread, torn into tiny pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 pounds lean ground sirloin*
1 medium green apple, cored, finely chopped or grated (about 1 1/4 cups)
2 egg whites
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 red onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
3/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
2/3 cup apple juice or cider
1 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons Chinese 5-Spice powder Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. and line a jelly roll pan with foil.
- Place bits of bread on jelly roll pan and place in oven until toasted and crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients to bread and mix with your hands until ingredients are incorporated.
- Shape meat mixture into a loaf and place it on the center of the jelly roll pan.
- Bake for 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through.
- To make the glaze, combine glaze ingredients in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until liquid is reduced to a glaze consistency. Remove from heat and pour over the meatloaf, about 15 minutes before meatloaf is done.
Variation: Divide meatloaf into 8 to 12 portions and cook in a muffin tin sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Reduce cooking time to 1 hour and pour glaze over meatloaf portions 10 minutes before they are done.
To Freeze: Cook meatloaf according to directions but omit glaze. Let meatloaf cool. You can freeze in a loaf or you can portion it out into smaller serving containers. Regardless, pour desired amount of glaze over loaf or portions, seal in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze.
Serves 8 to 12. Per serving based on 8 servings: 26g carbs, 3g fiber, 40g protein, 11g fat, 4g saturated fat, 660mg sodium, 154mg cholesterol, 364 calories, 99 calories from fat.