Cornish Game Hen with Wild Rice
4 (1-pound) Cornish game hens
Pinch of salt or more taste
Black pepper to taste
6 apricots, pitted
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons sugar free apricot preserves
2 tablespoons chopped onion
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup raspberry vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh minced tarragon
2 cups cooked wild rice
Fresh apricots, halved
Fresh tarragon leaves, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Wash hens inside and out and pat dry. Place a rack inside a roasting pan and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Place hens on the rack and season with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for 30 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place apricots, fennel, apricot preserves, onion, garlic, olive oil, vinegar and tarragon in a food processor or blender and process until smooth, scraping down sides as needed.
4. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F. and transfer hens to a cutting board. Using gloves and/or tongs, remove skin and visible fat from the hens. Place hens back on the roasting rack and brush generously with the apricot glaze. Roast for 20 more minutes, brushing with glaze two more times.
5. Transfer hens to a serving platter and drizzle with remaining glaze. Serve immediately with wild rice. Garnish with fresh apricots and tarragon if desired.
Nutritional analysis per serving, without garnish: 27g carbs, 3g fiber, 30g protein, 3.5g fat, 1g saturated fat, 166mg sodium, 72mg cholesterol, 262 calories, 32 calories from fat.