Saffron Poached Salmon
2 pinches of saffron threads, crumbled
Zest and juice of a lemon
1 lemon, sliced
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon black peppercorns
Pinch of salt
4 (5-ounces each) skinless, boneless salmon steaks
2 tablespoons fresh dill
1. In a large straight-sided saucepan, combine saffron, lemon, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and enough water to come halfway up pan (if using a poacher, follow manufacturers directions).
2. Bring water to a boil over high heat, then reduce to medium-low. Gently simmer ingredients for five minutes.
3. Carefully add salmon to pan in one layer. Adjust heat so the poaching liquid shows movement but isn't bubbling. Cook uncovered until salmon is firm and just cooked through, about 10 minutes.
4. Use a slotted spatula and remove salmon from liquid and let drain. Place on a stack of paper towels for a few minutes.
5. Transfer each to a plate and garnish with fresh dill and black pepper to taste and serve.
Per serving: trace carbs, trace fiber, 35g protein, 13g fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 84mg sodium, 111mg cholesterol, 275 calories, 117 calories from fat.