Reprinted with permission, The Enlightened Kitchen, John Wiley & Sons, Inc. Marie Oser 2002
1. Combine the marinade ingredients in a glass measuring cup and set aside.
2. Cut tofu into 1 cubes and place in a medium non-reactive bowl (glass or ceramic), add marinade, cover and refrigerate a few hours or overnight.
3. Heat oil, crushed pepper, garlic and ginger over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Add onions and vegetarian bacon; saute 2 minutes.
4. Using a slotted spoon, drain tofu slightly and add with mushrooms. Discard remaining marinade. Cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently, add the snow peas and cook just until peas are heated through, about one minute.
5. Remove pan from heat and serve immediately with brown rice.
Makes 6 Servings
Tofu & Snow Peas with Brown rice
Nutrition Analysis per 2 cup serving Calories 256, Protein 16g, Carb 36g, Fiber 6g, Fat 6g, Chol 0.0mg, Calcium 115 mg, Sodium 236mg. Calories from Protein 25%, Calories from Carb 55%, Calories from Fat 20%.
Traditional Beef & Snow Peas and White rice
Nutrition Analysis per 2 cup serving Calories 624 Protein 23g, Carb 41g, Fiber 3g, Fat 40g, Chol 64mg, Calcium 96mg, Sodium 334mg Calories from Protein 22%, Calories from Carb 40%, Calories from Fat 38%.
Notes on Ingredients:
Yves Veggie Canadian Bacon is a very authentic wholesome alternative. Made from soy, this is a delicious ingredient that adds protein, and carbohydrates with very little fat.
Chinese style tofu is packed in tubs of water in the refrigerated case at supermarkets and health food stores. This type of tofu is best for any dish where the tofu will be handles a lot, such as in stir-frying.You may also find clear packages of shrink-wrapped tofu labed firm nigari tofu. This is also Chinese style tofu.
Tamari is a wheat-free, natural soy sauce. Darker in color than typical soy sauce, tamari has a rich mellow flavor. Tamari is available in health food stores, Asian markets, and some supermarkets.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!