- 1 (4-pound) roasting chicken
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt or another flavored salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 orange, cut into wedges
- 1 (12-ounce) soda or beer can, half-filled with water
1. Preheat oven to 400F and position one oven rack on bottom adjustment, removing others.
2. Line rimmed baking sheet or baking dish with aluminum foil.
3. Remove bag of giblets from chicken cavity, if present, and wash chicken inside and out with cold water. Pat chicken dry with paper towels.
4. Use sharp knife or cutting shears to trim off excess skin. Slip your fingers underneath skin covering breasts and separate skin from flesh but leave skin intact.
5. In small bowl, mix together garlic salt, black pepper, paprika and brown sugar.
6. Rub seasoning inside chicken cavity, underneath skin onto flesh, and on top of skin. Slip orange wedges underneath skin, pushing them down toward tail to cover as much of chicken flesh as possible.
7. Place can on baking sheet and slide chicken tail-down onto can so chicken stands up on baking sheet.
8. Place leftover orange slices into cavity.
9. If breast meat is exposed, stretch skin over flesh and secure with toothpicks.
10. Roast for one hour or until internal temperature of chicken breast is 150F and juices run clear instead of pink.
11. Remove from oven and wrap loosely with foil. Let chicken sit for 10 to 15 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
12. Remove chicken from can and place breast up on cutting board. You now have a whole roasted chicken to slice, dice, or shred.
About 6 servings. Per serving: calories, 232; calories from fat, 23; fat, 3g; saturated fat, 1g; cholesterol, 114mg; carbs, 4g; fiber, 1g; protein, 46g; sodium, 288mg; calcium, 34mg; iron, 2mg
More Roasted Chicken recipes
Herb Roasted Chicken
Sage-Pesto Roasted Chicken
Honey Curry Roast Chicken