You'll need to cook the potatoes and onions beforehand, to allow them to soften. This recipe details an easy way to flip the frittata so that the top browns. You can accomplish the same results by simply sliding the frittata under the broiler for 2 minutes, but only if you're using an ovenproof skillet or dutch oven.
2 medium red-skinned potatoes, peeled and halved
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
2 eggs plus 2 whites
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Cooking oil spray
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar, or to taste
1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Cook the potatoes in water until done, about 20 minutes.
2. In a large, heavy, non-stick skillet, stir the onion slices to separate them into individual rings. Place the pan over medium-high heat, cover tightly, and cook the onions until they wilt and stew in their juices, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly colored.
3. Transfer the onions to a large bowl and let cool slightly. Wipe out pan.
4. Drain the cooked potatoes well and cut them into small cubes. Add them to the onions.
5. In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and egg whites until well blended.
6. Mix in the onion-potato mixture.
7. Mix in the cheese, salt and pepper until well combined.
8. Use a cooking oil spray to generously coat the saucepan you just used for the onions. Set the pan over medium-high heat and heat until hot.
9. Pour in the egg mixture, making sure the onions and potatoes are evenly distributed in pan. As the eggs set, keep lifting the edges with a spatula or mixing spoon, tilting the pan so any liquid flows to the edges. Continue cooking over medium heat until set, 12 to 15 minutes.
10. Slide the frittata onto a plate. Place the skillet upside-down over the plate.
12. Return to heat. Cook 3 minutes or until cooked through.
13. Slide the frittata onto a serving plate.
14. Cut the frittata into 8 wedges.
15. Drizzle vinegar over the top, garnish it with parsley and serve.
Makes 4 servings.
Per serving: 23g carbohydrates; 2g dietary fiber; 9g protein; 3g total fat (1g saturated fat); 404mg sodium; 156 calories.
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!