Sesame-Ginger Frittata with Broccoli and Shrimp
2 cups 1/2-inch pieces of broccoli florets
2 or 3 scallions, trimmed and freshly chopped
1 cup finely chopped red onion
1 cup fresh bean sprouts
5 ounces peeled cooked shrimp, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 1 1/2 cups)
3/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 large eggs
4 large egg whites
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon cold water
1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar
1 small garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
Canola oil spray
1. In a medium bowl, combine the broccoli, scallions, onion, bean sprouts, shrimp, sesame oil, and pepper.
2. In another bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, and flour for about 2 minutes, until the lumps are almost gone. Pour this over the vegetable mixture, mix well with a fork, and set it aside.
3. Preheat the broiler.
4. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch into the 1 tablespoon cold water to dissolve and place it near the stove.
5. In a small pan, bring the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, sugar and broth to a boil over medium heat. Stir the cornstarch mixture, pour it into the hot liquid, and whisk 1 to 2 minutes, until the sauce is thick and translucent.
6. Coat a large, ovenproof, nonstick skillet with canola oil spray. Heat the skillet over medium-low heat.
7. Stir the egg and vegetable mixture and pour it into the skillet, smoothing the mixture into an even layer.
8. Cook for about 4 minutes, until the eggs are set and the bottom is browned.
9. Place the skillet under the broiler for about 2 minutes, until the top is browned and the center is almost dry.
10. Loosen the frittata from the skillet with a spatula and slide it onto a serving dish. Cut the frittata into quarters and serve with the warm sauce spooned over the wedges.
Per serving: 13g carbohydrates; 2g dietary fiber; 19g protein; 5g total fat (1g saturated fat); 430mg sodium; 168 calories.