1/2 cup solid shortening
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (2-3 bananas)
1. Remember to wash your hands.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. In a large mixing bowl, cream together shortening and sugar using an electric mixer. Add eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
5. Add dry ingredients and bananas to creamed mixture, mixing until just combined.
6. Place paper baking cups in muffin tin or lightly coat with cooking spray. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full with batter.
7. Bake 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown. Remove cupcakes from muffin tin and place on a cooling rack.
Per serving (one cupcake): 32g carbs; 1g dietary fiber; 3g protein; 9g of fat (2.5g saturated); 35mg cholesterol; 200mg sodium; 220 calories.
Helpful Hints: Kids of all ages will have fun stirring-up these cupcakes. Use an extra large bowl for mixing and stirring so ingredients stay in the bowl and don't spill on the counter top. Pre- measure some ingredients so kids can get to the fun of mixing quickly. Set a wet cloth under the mixing bowl to keep it from slipping. An easy way to fill muffin cups is to use an ice cream or cookie scoop. While cupcakes are baking, help kids put ingredients away, wash dishes and get ready to sample.
Safety Tip: This batter contains raw eggs. Explain to children that raw eggs can cause illness, so no licking the bowl or spoon. Wait until the cupcakes are baked before sampling.