Stuffed French Toast with Strawberries
8 slices white or wheat bread, cut 1 inch thick
8 ounces cream cheese
6 tablespoons strawberry preserves
1-1/3 cups milk
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
4 tablespoons powdered sugar
4 cups sliced strawberries
1. Cut each bread slice in half crosswise. With a sharp knife cut a horizontal slit in each half slice to make a pocket. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and preserves. Spread 1/16 (approximately) of the mixture inside each bread pocket.
2. Pinch edges of bread together to hold filling.
3. In a shallow bowl, whisk together milk, egg, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Dip filled bread slices in egg mixture to coat. Cook about 6 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
4. Top with strawberries and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Brunch ideas: Serve these with scrambled eggs (add some chopped chives for a nice touch), and your choice of breakfast meat.
Ham and Potato Frittata
Note: This serves 4, so make two if you have more guests.
1 tablespoon oil
3 medium potatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped ham
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/8 teaspoon each salt and pepper
6 large eggs, beaten
1. Peel potatoes, cut in half length wise and slice thin.
2. Heat oil in medium size nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes, cover and cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender and browned.
3. Stir in ham, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour in eggs. Cook 5 minutes, tilting skillet and lifting edges of frittata with a spatula so uncooked eggs can run underneath.
4. Heat broiler. If skillet handle is wood or plastic double-wrap with foil to prevent scorching.
5. Broil 4-5 inches from broiler or heat source 3-4 minutes until eggs are set and top is golden.
Brunch ideas: Serve frittata with fresh fruit, or a fruit salad, French bread or rolls and a light dessert.
Note: This can be set up as a buffet type meal where each person makes their own plate.
8 flour tortillas
16 large eggs
1/2 cup scallions, or green onion tops
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 teaspoons butter or margarine
Bacon, Ham, Canadian Bacon or crumbled breakfast sausage
12 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
1. Cook meat first by frying in a skillet or an electric frying pan. Choose at least two of the meats listed; about 1/2 pound each.
2. Meanwhile whisk eggs, scallions, mustard, salt and pepper in a large bowl until blended. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add egg mixture and cook, stirring, until set. Heat tortillas as directed.
3. Place meat, eggs and tortillas on individual platters. Serve the cheddar cheese and extra green onions along side the platters to be used as toppings.
4. Have guests place items on the tortilla and roll up to eat just as you do for fajitas.
Brunch ideas: Set up this buffet as self serve. Also serve with fresh fruit and hash browns.
Click below for more great Mother's Day recipes:
For breakfast in bed
Healthy and low-carb
The brunch menu