Grilled Chicken Thigh Skewers
Serves 6 to 8
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into 1-inch chunks.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour cream, thinned down with a little water for drizzling, if desired
- Fresh cilantro sprigs for garnish
Ingredients for the rub:
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
1. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until deep brown. Do not let scorch. Add garlic, cumin, and mustard seed and saute 30 seconds. Do not brown garlic.
2. Remove from heat and mix in lime juice, jalapeno, parsley, mint and cilantro. Transfer mixture to a food processor and with motor running, drizzle in remaining oil and the water and process to a paste-like consistency. Toss chicken pieces with herb mixture and marinate at least two hours and preferably overnight.
3. Meanwhile soak six to eight 10-inch bamboo skewers in water for at least one hour. When ready to grill, thread meat on skewers and heat grill to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper and grill about 5 to 6 minutes per side, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with the sour cream drizzle and cilantro sprigs.
Per serving (eight servings): 1g carbohydrates; 0g fiber; 29g fat; 87mg sodium; 102mg cholesterol; 316 calories
-- Recipe courtesy of Kathy Casey Food Studios.