Spice rubs add depth and character to lean meats. Keep the following Caribbean Rub handy to massage into beef, poultry or fish. Flavorful slices of steak sit regally on a bed of mixed greens, avocado and tomatoes lightly dressed with freshly squeezed lime juice for a satisfying main course salad with only 4g net carbohydrates per serving.
Caribbean Spice Rub:
Combine the following ingredients in a small bowl:
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (1-1/2-pound) flank steak
8 cups mixed salad greens
1 small ripe avocado, pitted, sliced thinly
1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
Black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
Pinch of sweetener per each plate
Juice of 2 to 3 limes
1. Generously sprinkle and massage both sides of flank steak with spice rub. Store leftover rub in an airtight container.
2. Refrigerate steak overnight or marinate at least 30 minutes.
3. Heat grill on high.
4. Lightly oil grate and grill steak, covered, until well seared, about four to five minutes.
5. Flip and grill two to five minutes until steak is done to your liking.
6. Transfer meat to a cutting board, tent it with foil and let rest.
7. Meanwhile, divide salad greens, avocado and tomatoes among six serving plates.
8. Sprinkle with black pepper, salt, pinch of sugar and lime juice.
9. Thinly carve steak against the grain; evenly divide among salad plates and serve immediately.
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Broil steak on a lightly oiled broiler pan four to six inches from heating element until done to your liking, about four to six minutes per side.
3. Serves six to eight.
Per serving: 7g carbs; 3g fiber; 36g protein; 287 calories
And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .
SheKnows is making some changes!