You can up the health quota on these Wild Blueberry Walnut Bran Muffins with a few simple changes!
- 1-1/4 cup all-purpose flour (can substitute with half whole wheat flour for slightly denser and healthier muffins)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 cups bran cereal (such as All- Bran)
- 1 large egg or 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (such as Canola oil)
- 3 cups Wild Blueberries
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)
- In large bowl, combine bran cereal and milk. Let stand about 5 minutes or until softened.
- Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add egg and oil to softened cereal mixture and mix thoroughly. Add flour mixture, stirring only until just combined. Do not beat. Fold in walnuts. Gently fold in Wild Blueberries.
- Portion evenly in 12, 2 1/2-inch muffin tins coated with cooking spray. Can sprinkle each uncooked muffin with 1/2 teaspoon of brown sugar, if desired.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree oven 25-30 minutes. (If frozen berries are used, add 5-10 minutes to cooking time.)
Makes 12 servings
Recipe courtesy of Wild Blueberries