We made this one just for you puzzle freaks. Check out this crossword cake. It's so simple to make. You just cut out little squares from fondant and then — the coolest part — you can customize the cake by filling in the blanks yourself with an edible marker. Find out how.
More: Write your own message on this notebook paper cake
Crossword puzzle cake recipe
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box vanilla cake mix
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (12 ounce) container vanilla frosting
- Black fondant
- White fondant
- Red edible marker
- Mix each batter up in two separate bowls. (Each box with 3 eggs, 1/2 cup oil and 1 cup water).
- Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Into the dish, pour both chocolate and vanilla cake batters. Using a knife swirl the two flavors together.
- Bake according to the instructions on the box. Let the cake cool completely, then trim to level the top. Frost the top of the cake with vanilla frosting.
- Roll out the black fondant and trim to be a 9 x 13-inch rectangle. Place it on top of the frosted cake.
- Roll out the white fondant, and using a square cookie cutter, cut out 30 to 35 pieces around 1 x 1-inch square. Place the squares in the shape of your crossword on top of the black fondant by brushing a little water onto the backs of the squares.
- Using the edible marker, write a few words into your crossword.
Watch our video to find out how to make this fun cake.