Your classic bûche de noël, aka Yule log cake, is pretty cool on its own. But we feel like it's missing something. A certain kind of magic, you know? It needs a rainbow is what we're saying. Come with us on this exciting adventure known as the rainbow Yule log.
Come on, you know you want to slice it open and see those colors.
More: We've invented your new favorite holiday dip: Peppermint chocolate fondue
Rainbow Yule log recipe
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box Funfetti cake mix
- 1/2 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 7 (12 ounce) containers white frosting
- 1 (12 ounce) container chocolate frosting
- Food coloring in rainbow colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet)
- Sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix the cake mix, eggs and oil together.
- Onto a parchment-lined rimmed baking sheet spritzed with cooking spray, evenly spread out the batter and bake for 7 minutes or until the cake springs back when pressed and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, add one food color to each container of white frosting. Just add several drops at a time, mixing until you get the right "rainbow" color. You should have 7 containers of different-colored frostings. Set aside.
- After cake is done, immediately place it on a new piece of parchment paper and gently roll it up with the paper still inside while the cake is still warm. Let it cool rolled up, about 10 minutes. Then unroll and remove the parchment.
- Once the cake has cooled, starting across the shortest width, pipe a thick log of all seven colors onto the cake in the order of the colors of the rainbow (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet). Smooth frosting out evenly, trying not to mix the colors.
- Very carefully roll the cake back up, this time without the parchment paper.
- Cover the cake in chocolate frosting. For a bark-like appearance, spread the frosting roughly. Add sprinkles if desired. Slice into wheels to serve.
More: These inspiring bûche de noël cakes are holiday baking goals to the nth degree
Check out the video to learn more about making this rainbow Yule log cake!