Everyone loves a good lobster roll. Why not take that same concept and make a grilled shrimp roll?
Simply grill the shrimp, make a flavorful mayo spread, toast off the New England-style buns, and you’ll have a delicious, light and refreshing grilled shrimp roll on the table in under 20 minutes. It’s the same concept as a lobster roll, but it’s just way less work, much less expensive and filled with so much more flavor.
More: How to peel and devein shrimp in seconds
Grilled shrimp rolls recipe
Prep time: 13 minutes | Cook time: 4 minutes | Total time: 17 minutes
- 20 – 35 shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Juice from 1 lemon, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons paprika, divided
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large celery stalk, peeled, finely diced, plus more for garnish
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon dill, plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 4 New England-style hot dog buns
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
More: 21 succulent shrimp tacos that upstage beef
- In a bowl, season your shrimp with salt and pepper to taste, the juice from 1/2 a lemon and 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- Skewer your shrimp. Add 1 skewer near the end of the shrimp and another skewer at the top of the shrimp. Continue skewering the shrimp until about 5 or 6 are on the skewer, about an inch apart.
- To your grill pan over high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Once the grill pan is hot enough, add the shrimp skewers.
- Cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes on each side, until the shrimp turn a pinkish hue with grill marks. Take them off the grill, remove them from the skewers, and set them aside to cool.
- In the meantime, make the dressing. In a large bowl, combine the mayonnaise, Dijon mustard, celery, scallions, onion, dill, vinegar, the remaining lemon juice and paprika, salt and pepper. Mix until well combined, then set aside.
- To a sauté pan over medium heat, add butter. Toast the hot dog buns for 1 minute on each side until golden brown.
- Add the cooled grilled shrimp to the mayo mixture, and mix until well combined. Add about 6 shrimp to each hot dog bun.
- Garnish with more dill and chopped celery.
- Serve immediately.
More: 23 scrumptious shrimp recipes from around the world