What would you like to know?
Share this Story

That sunflower seed recall just got a whole lot bigger

Justina Huddleston is an editor and the head writer for TDmonthly Magazine. She has been a freelance writer for several years, though her real passion is cooking. You can see the recipes she creates on her vegan food blog, A Life of Litt...

Go back to your pantry to check for these recalled sunflower seed-containing foods

Just when you thought your pantry was finally rid of all the products that have been recalled in the past two weeks, another batch comes to light.

Isn't it fun to be terrified of eating any of the healthy food you've been stocking your cupboards with?

The sunflower seed recall from last week, which included a recall of Quaker Oats Quinoa Granola bars, has been expanded to include a variety of products that were sold in at least 24 states, due to a possible listeria contamination.

More: Brace yourselves for an addition to the listeria recall

The sunflower seeds were produced by SunOpta between Feb. 1 and April 21 and sold under a variety of major brands, including products from Planters and Sunrich Naturals, along with Kroger-branded Sunflower Salad Toppers, Sunflower Kernels and Cranberry Delight Trail Mix. TreeHouse Foods, which makes granola bars and trail mix for brands sold at Walmart, Meijer, Top and Hy-vee, is recalling dozens of products that may have been infected by the contamination too.

Publix is also recalling its Wheatberry Salad and Sweet and Salty Almond bars, which may have been contaminated.

More: How not to get listeria — the food poisoning that means business

And Arizona company Papa John's Salads & Produce is recalling its Oriental Salad with Sesame Ginger Dressing, which contains sunflower seeds.

This batch of recalls comes on the heels of a massive frozen foods recall from two weeks ago that turned deadly, which was also enacted because of concerns over listeria contamination.

Luckily in this go-around, no one has actually gotten sick as a result of consuming the products, so I guess people are staying vigilant and paying attention to the recalls. Which isn't too surprising considering the fact that I'm starting to get too paranoid to so much as snack on a single almond from my cupboard without racing to check for a recall first.

If you worry that you may have consumed one of the contaminated products, listen to your body. Listeria can cause listeriosis, which is fatal for almost 18 percent of the people who contract it — mostly elderly people, infants and others with weakened immune systems. For the other 82 percent, the disease still counts fever, muscle aches and diarrhea among its early symptoms, so if you're feeling any of these and worry you ate one of the recalled products, head to the doctor ASAP.

More: Massive frozen food recall turns deadly — check your freezers

New in Food & Recipes

And you'll see personalized content just for you whenever you click the My Feed .

SheKnows is making some changes!