Ready for this? They are stuffed with chopped chocolate (that melts and oozes out after cooking), then dipped in chocolate-cinnamon sauce and sprinkled with chocolate-cinnamon sugar powder. You will have to forget about dieting for a few minutes and just close your eyes and enjoy. OK, just run that extra mile more to get rid of your chocolate guilt.
You can make these any way you want them. Use dark chocolate or milk chocolate and any flavor of jam you like. I love dark chocolate because it is less sweet than milk chocolate, but it can be too intense for others, especially the kids, so I use 50-50. For the fruit jam, I always choose cherry jam that is unsweetened by added sugars or sweeteners. Since there's so much chocolate in this dish, I try to take out as much other sweetness as I can. The unsweetened cherry jam mixes very well with the chocolate for just a touch of tartness.
Triple chocolate French toast pinwheels recipe
Prep time: 30 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 medium eggs
- 6 tablespoons milk, divided
- 1 (10-ounce) chocolate bar, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 8 slices white sandwich bread, crusts sliced off
- 1/4 cup unsweetened fruit jam
- 4 tablespoons butter
- In a small bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with 3 tablespoons of milk, then set aside.
- Divide the chocolate into half, then place in 2 bowls. Set aside one bowl to be used as filling for the French toast, while the other half will be used as the dip. Combine the remaining 3 tablespoons of milk with one bowl of chocolate, and melt in the microwave for 30 seconds on high power. Stir, and check if the chocolate has completely melted. If not, put it back in the microwave, and melt for a few more seconds. Stir in 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- On a plate, mix together the sugar, cocoa powder and the remaining 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Set aside.
- On a wooden or plastic board, pass the rolling pin on a slice of bread to flatten it, then put 1-1/2 teaspoons of jam and 2 teaspoons of chopped chocolate on top. Roll tightly. Repeat with the others.
- Soak the rolls in the bowl of egg mixture.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. When the butter has melted and the pan is hot, cook the rolls on all sides.
- When the rolls are golden brown, dip them into the melted chocolate mixture, and then sprinkle them with the sugar mixture.
- Slice or serve whole while warm.