Overnight sausage and Swiss chard starta is the kind of dish that couldn’t be easier to put together. Do all the prep before bedtime, then wake up, and put it in the oven. In under an hour, breakfast or brunch is served.
You’ll get classic morning ingredients in each bite of this delicious strata. I like to use day-old bread for this dish as the perfect way to use up leftovers. Swiss chard adds great color and a dose of veggies to this egg-based dish.
Overnight sausage and Swiss chard strata recipe
Keep in mind you can bake this dish immediately instead of refrigerating it overnight.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 45 – 50 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 6 ounces breakfast sausage, browned and cut into 2-inch pieces, set aside
- 1-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup white onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups Swiss chard leaves, torn into 3-inch pieces, stems diced and reserved
- 3-1/2 cups day-old bread, cubed into 2-inch pieces
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus extra for topping
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Spray a baking dish with the nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for about 3 minutes or until it begins to soften. Add the Swiss chard stems, and cook for another 2 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for 30 seconds. Remove from the heat, and set aside.
- Blanch the Swiss chard in boiling water for a few minutes or until they turn bright green. Remove, and drain. When cool to the touch, squeeze the leaves to remove any remaining liquid. Reserve.
- Add the milk to the beaten eggs, and whisk to combine. Next, add the salt, black pepper and thyme.
- Place a single layer of bread across the bottom of the baking dish. Pour 1/2 the liquid mixture over the bread cubes to moisten all of them. Continue by adding a layer of the sausage, the onion mixture, the Swiss chard and the Parmesan cheese evenly over the bread cubes.
- Add the remaining bread to the mixture, then pour the remaining egg mixture over the bread to moisten it all.
- Cover, and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator, and allow to sit for about half an hour. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese, and serve warm.