There aren't many things I deem worth the stench of stale frying grease in my house. Besides the stove splatter mess (although that's kept to a minimum in this recipe thanks to the high sides of a Dutch oven), the lingering grease smell that seems to permeate every soft surface in the house really makes me think twice before frying.
These pork chops are worth it, though. Golden brown, crispy outside, juicy moist inside and filled with a surprising Asian flavor, they've officially made it on my top five things worth frying list (crispy potato strips and doughnuts are in close company). Every bite is pure dinner bliss and takes "the other white meat" to the next level.
Asian fried pork chops recipe
These pork chops are marinated in an Asian-inspired sauce but fried up Southern style for a great new way to enjoy a dinner staple.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 1 hour | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 2 bone-in pork chops, thin-cut
- 1-1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- Dash red pepper flakes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- Canola oil for frying
- In a large bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch, hoisin, sesame oil, sugar, spices and garlic.
- Place the pork chops in the bowl, turn to coat, and let marinate for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- On a plate or in a shallow bowl, place the flour, salt and pepper.
- Dredge the pork chops through the flour, and shake off any excess.
- On the stovetop over medium-high, heat enough oil in a large Dutch oven so that it comes up the sides about 1 inch.
- Once the oil is hot, place the pork chops (1 at a time) in the oil, and fry for about 4 to 5 minutes per side, until golden brown and crispy.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined rack to drain.
- Serve hot with sautéed greens.
More pork chop recipes
Pork chops in creamy mushroom sauce
Latin-style pork chops
Apple-cinnamon skillet pork chops