Tacos meet teriyaki chicken with pickled veggies, and it's a match made in heaven.
Pickled veggies are super easy to make and give these tacos just the right amount of Asian flair. All you need are a few vinegar- and sugar-related ingredients, some thinly sliced veggies and about 10 minutes to make these very cool pickled veggies that taste so good in these tacos.
I love street tacos because less is more when a tortilla is wrapped around a simple filling. In this case, the filling is just grilled teriyaki chicken and slightly crisp pickled veggies. I like to make the chicken on the barbecue because it tastes like a street taco.
And what's a street taco without chopped onions and cilantro, so I added them too. These tacos taste especially good with really fresh corn tortillas.
Teriyaki chicken and pickled veggie taco recipe
A soft corn tortilla filled with grilled teriyaki chicken and homemade pickled veggies is where Asian and Mexican flavors unite.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Inactive time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 12 minutes | Total time: 37 minutes
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced daikon radish (in about 3-inch-long strips)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced carrot (in about 3-inch-long strips)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced hothouse cucumber (in about 3-inch-long strips)
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and thinly sliced (optional)
- 4 soft corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 8 sprigs cilantro
- Heat the barbecue to medium heat.
- To a large, shallow bowl, add the teriyaki sauce.
- Add the chicken, and let it marinate for 15 minutes.
- While the chicken is marinating, to a medium-size bowl, add the rice vinegar, apple cider vinegar, sugar and salt. Stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the daikon, carrot and cucumber to the vinegar mixture. Cover the veggies in the liquid as much as possible, and set aside.
- Place the chicken on the barbecue grill, and cook until thoroughly done (about 5 minutes on each side).
- Remove, and chop the chicken.
- Onto each corn tortilla, add the hot chicken, pickled veggies (strained), serrano pepper (optional), onions and cilantro.
- Serve right away.
More Asian taco recipes
Thai chicken tacos with peanut butter sauce
Asian beef tacos
Asian turkey tacos